Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cute v. Hot

There has been some discussion lately regarding the words "cute" and "hot." So what is the difference between the two? Let's try to nail down something more than vague notions. As a starting point, let's see what dictionary.com has to say.


Dictionary.com

Cute: attractive, especially in a dainty way; pleasingly pretty
Dainty: of delicate beauty; exquisite.
Hot: sexy; attractive.
Sexy: sexually interesting or exciting; radiating sexuality.


It quickly becomes clear that the word cute implies an innocent quality, whereas the word hot conjures sex in one's mind. Now, most of my female friends (probably all that I've talked to about this subject) have said that they take offense to being called "cute." They say that it implies that they are some degree of ugly -- maybe like the "girl next door" or "kid-sister-with-a-mole-on-the-nose-but-is-otherwise-moderately-attractive."


They say, that they much more prefer to be called "hot." So, does this mean that they just want to "radiate sexuality"? Would they agree with that definition of "hot"? Maybe, probably, girls are more sex-crazy than they let on. This isn't really news, but it can't hurt pointing out.


I don't think that the word "cute" gets the respect that it should. Now, my reverence for the word "cute," of course, is necessarily dependent on the definition that I attach to that word. I prescribe a narrow definition for "cute." I don't like using the word "dainty" in conjunction with "cute," because I think the connotation that comes along with dainty is weakness. I am not attracted to weakness. I think the definition "pleasingly pretty and attractive" is perfect for describing the meaning attached to the word "cute."

Being cute is not a crime. I think that being cute, as I define it, is a good thing, indeed 'tis preferable over a girl who only radiates pure sex. This is why: With the word "hot," comes "sex" (as a necessary implication). And with sex, no matter how enjoyable, and desired, comes at least a small amount of dirtiness. I don't mean dirtiness in like a bad way, in a morally despicable sense, but just a factual-descriptive way -- exchanges of bodily fluids, etc. etc. In the back of my mind, subconsciously perhaps, these thoughts arise when using the word "hot" to describe a "chick."


Now, where does this leave us? What amount of hotness should a girl have? What amount of cuteness should a girl have? Yo, the answer is obvious:

1) If you are looking for sex; dress and act "hot."
2) If you are looking for a relationship; dress and act "cute."

To me: Cuteness, in terms of personality, implies a quick wit, a sense of humor, intelligence (without being snobby), understanding, and compassion. Cuteness, in terms of physical appearances, is more elusive to lock down. I'm personally attracted to girls who wear funny t-shirts and tight-ass jeans... but I think this just reflects on my desire that a girl have personality -- mainly a sense of humor and not necessarily materialistic.

With all of this said, the perfect girl is one who has both "cuteness" and "hotness." This way you aren't just seen as a friend, but you are respectable, fun, intelligent, but also like to "get down" on occasion. For a visual breakdown of this standard, see the following graph:


In short, be more like Heidi Klum. Good day.