Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Piano is a Beautiful Instrument: Examples

So instead of reading law books and being diligent, I am sitting here writing a blog post about the use of the piano in Hard Rock/Classic Rock and Heavy Metal songs.  I am hard at work with a Quantum Leap episode running in the background.  I'm a winner.

I think that the piano is one of the most beautiful instruments.  It is timeless.  Everyone seems to just understand its reverberations.  It is adaptable to almost any form of music.  My affection for the piano is hard to describe, so just listen to a little bit of the following songs and you'll get the picture.

These are in no particular order.

Drops of Jupiter by Train.

They use the piano to give the song an "ethereal" feel -- whatever that means.



Love Reign O'er Me by The Who.


They use the piano here to create sadness, along with the rain sound effect.

I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That) performed by Meat Loaf.


They create indefinable epic-ness with the piano in this song. (0:20)

November Rain by Guns N Roses.


One of the best uses of piano in a great song -- epic-ness and sadness.

After the Goldrush by Neil Young. (not really hard rock, but really good nonetheless)


Beauty (and sadness).

Cold as Ice by Foreigner.

Fun!

Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

A contemplative beauty, also epic.  In my opinion this is the greatest
hard rock song ever made, and best use of the piano in the genre.

"For I must be traveling on now, there's just too many places I got to see."